In these three parts, I will speak about the configuration of the interfaces and uplinks respectively for physical ESXi and Edge VM.
- Part 1: ESXi interfaces
- Part 2: Edge VM for T0 and T1 with one uplink North-South (physical world)
- Part 3: Edge VM for T0 and T1 with redundant uplinks North-South (physical world)
Since NSX-T 2.3 version, Edges can have up to 4 interfaces eth0, fp-eth0, fp-eth1 and fp-eth2. These fp interfaces are assigned to the DPDK fastpath (data plane development kit).
- Eth0 is used for the Management.
- fp-eth0 is commonly used in both T1 and T0 Edges for the Overlay network.
- fp-eth1 and fp-eth2 are commonly used in T0 Edges to provide the North-South Uplink (physical world).
Note: It’s possible to enbale only the fp-eth1 (explain in this topic) however it’s a best practice to configure both fp-eth1 and fp-eth2 for redundancy of the Edge T0 (explain in this topic) -> two different VLANs are required though.
If some fp-eth interfaces are not used it’s recommended to disconnect these interfaces.
Work in progress 🙂